Sunday 21 January 2007

Medieval Alleyways


In the medieval part of Genoa, down closer to the port, the city streets become a zig-zagging confusing web of 5' wide alleyways...add insane moped drivers to the mix and you have a very hazardous environment. Many of the alleys actually used to feature arcades which made the places not so claustrophobic, but in order to make more room for housing and commercial buildings, the city filled in the arcades making the narrow streets you can see above. In this picture my hands weren't touching the walls BUT yesterday we were walking around and I found one alley that I could press both my palms against. One guy took some pictures of himself bracing himself horizontally between the walls with his feet and hands.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mozart!

You look like Jesus in this one.

-V

Donald Wade said...

Very nice photos. So this is college?? I must have missed that day.