Sunday 21 January 2007

Personal Space (or the lack thereof)


They told us in advance that the Italians have a different sense of personal space, I have decided that its different in that it is non-existent. There is NO CONCEPT of the entire idea! We were sitting on these steps, sketching the facade of the church across the plaza when this camera guy comes up in front of us and starts filming. He started over by the guy in the red shirt and we were watching Averette as the camera guy got right up in his face as he was sketching (apparantly there's no zoom on Italian cameras, you have to physically get up in there). So we were laughing and whatever as the cameraguy kept moving along the line of us, narrating in Italian as he went. When he got to me I tried to stop laughing and started sketching intently so that he could get whatever film he needed...but then his head banged into mine because he was so freaking CLOSE. My head shot up because I was kinda grossed out, but when I looked up the camera was pointed straight in my face...he'd actually hit me with the fuzzy gray microphone on the camera.

I just started busting out laughing (as did everyone else), we just could not believe that he was getting sooooo close! So when the guy circled around behind us some of the other students with us got a picture of him violating our space. You can't really see me in this picture, but I'm sitting closest to the column on the right.

No comments: