Monday 5 February 2007

The Vatican

The Vatican
Crazy insane claustrophobic stairs climbing the dome of St. Peters, at one point there was actually a rope to hold onto to help hoist yourself up the steep steps.


Since we were climbing in between the shells of the dome, the passageway began to curve following the shape of the dome...my camera was straight in this picture!

We were visiting the Vatican on Sunday morning and I'd remembered reading in some tour book that the pope blesses the crowd some time every Sunday and Wednesday...when we got to the top of the dome, I saw the crowd and started freaking out because I thought I was missing the blessing...then I heard a bunch of kids singing and realized it was some sort of concert (I didn't get blessed and I don't want to know if/when I missed it).

Again, we were climbing up the dome and I started freaking out because I could smell the incense and I just knew I was missing a big mass and of course I was but I got to see the procession out and it was nice...later I caught a mass held on the main alter...pretty cool.

No comments: